Baseball has deep, historical roots in the state of New York, and a wide variety of baseball teams in the state are keeping this legacy alive.
This article highlights each professional baseball team in New York, including important facts and information about these teams.
Keep reading to find out more!
Baseball Teams in New York
When you read baseball history, you will inevitably be taken back in time to scenes in pre-Civil War New York.
Whether you read about Cooperstown or the Knickerbockers, the common strand is that these monuments to the game are all set in the state of New York.
As one of the most populated states in America, New York is represented by a variety of baseball teams that play across the large state.
From the New York City (NYC) metropolitan area to the upstate and in all places in between, you typically don't need to look far to find a team.
For this article, we zoom in to look at baseball teams playing today in the state of New York.
In particular, we highlight the large number of professional baseball teams at the major, minor, and independent league levels that play across the state.
How Many Baseball Teams Does New York Have?
There are currently 16 baseball teams in New York at the major, minor, and independent league levels, as of 2022. This is a large number of teams in one state, up there with the likes of Florida, Texas and California.
There are two teams in New York that play at the major league level.
There are six New York minor league baseball teams.
And there are eight teams in the independent leagues which are based in the state.
List of Baseball Teams in New York
As of 2022
Major League Baseball (MLB) Teams
There are two MLB teams in New York, both of which are in the New York City region.
One team is in the National League and one team is in the American League.
Who are these two teams?
Continue scrolling to learn…
New York Mets
- League: National League
- Division: NL East
- City: Flushing, Queens, NY
- Stadium Name: Citi Field
- First MLB Season in New York: 1962
- Number of World Series Championships: 2
- Best Catcher in Franchise History: Gary Carter
- Greatest Overall Player in Franchise History: Tom Seaver
New York Yankees
- League: American League
- Division: AL East
- City: Bronx, NY
- Stadium Name: Yankee Stadium
- First MLB Season in New York: 1903
- Number of World Series Championships: 27
- Best Catcher in Franchise History: Yogi Berra
- Greatest Overall Player in Franchise History: Babe Ruth
Minor League Baseball (MiLB) Teams
Minor league baseball has a rich past in New York, and current NY baseball teams in the minors are keeping this heritage alive.
As of 2022, the six New York baseball teams in the minor leagues are distributed across the AAA, AA and high-A levels. Geographically, these six teams are spread out across different parts of the state.
In the next section, we give more detail on each of those minor league baseball teams from New York.
International League - Triple A (AAA)
One of the two leagues at the AAA level, there are a total of three teams located in the state of New York which play in the International League.
- MLB Affiliation: Toronto Blue Jays
- City: Buffalo, NY
- Stadium Name: Sahlen Field
- Mascot Name: Buster T. Bison
Rochester Red Wings
- MLB Affiliation: Washington Nationals
- City: Rochester, NY
- Stadium Name: Frontier Field
- Mascot Name: Spikes and Mittsy
- MLB Affiliation: New York Mets
- City: Syracuse, NY
- Stadium Name: NBT Bank Stadium
- Mascot Name: Scooch
Eastern League - Double A (AA)
Binghamton Rumble Ponies
- MLB Affiliation: New York Mets
- City: Binghamton, NY
- Stadium Name: Mirabito Stadium
- Mascot Name: Rowdy
South Atlantic League - Single A (High-A)
- MLB Affiliation: New York Mets
- City: Brooklyn, NY
- Stadium Name: Maimonides Park
- Mascot Name: Sandy the Seagull and Pee-Wee
Hudson Valley Renegades
- MLB Affiliation: New York Yankees
- City: Fishkill, NY
- Stadium Name: Dutchess Stadium
- Mascot Name: Rascal, Rookie, Roofus, and Rene
Independent Professional Baseball Teams
Independent league baseball is professional baseball in the United States which is not affiliated with the MLB.
There are a number of different leagues connected to independent professional baseball, and three of those independent leagues have a presence in the state of New York.
New York-based teams in those three leagues, including some key facts about each team, are shown below.
Long Island Ducks
- City: Central Islip, NY
- Stadium Name: Fairfield Properties Ballpark
Staten Island FerryHawks
- City: Staten Island, NY
- Stadium Name: Staten Island University Hospital Community Park
New York Boulders
- City: Pomona, NY
- Stadium Name: Clover Stadium
- City: Troy, NY
- Stadium Name: Joseph Bruno Stadium
Empire State Greys
- City: N/A - traveling team based in the state
- Stadium Name: N/A - traveling team based in the state
Empire Baseball League
- City: Plattsburgh, NY
- Stadium Name: Chip Cummings Field
Saranac Lake Surge
- City: Saranac Lake, NY
- Stadium Name: Petrova Field
Tupper Lake Riverpigs
- City: Tupper Lake, NY
- Stadium Name: Tupper Lake Municipal Park
Quick Summary of all New York-Based Teams
|Team Name||City||Professional Level|
|New York Mets||Flushing||MLB|
|New York Yankees||Bronx||MLB|
|Rochester Red Wings||Rochester||MiLB|
|Binghamton Rumble Ponies||Binghamton||MiLB|
|Hudson Valley Renegades||Fishkill||MiLB|
|Long Island Ducks||Central Islip||Independent|
|Staten Island FerryHawks||Staten Island||Independent|
|New York Boulders||Pomona||Independent|
|Empire State Greys||N/A||Independent|
|Saranac Lake Surge||Saranac Lake||Independent|
|Tupper Lake Riverpigs||Tupper Lake||Independent|
Baseball Teams in the New York City Area
Of the 16 teams on our list, there are six NYC baseball teams located in the broader New York City metro area.
Those six teams are:
- New York Mets (MLB)
- New York Yankees (MLB)
- Brooklyn Cyclones (MiLB)
- Long Island Ducks (Independent)
- Staten Island FerryHawks (Independent)
- New York Boulders (Independent)
Map of All Professional Baseball Teams in New York
New York is a large and populous state, and with all the various professional-level baseball teams that play in New York, we thought it would be helpful to create a simple map depicting the location of each team in the state.
Take a look below for our custom map showing all baseball teams in New York in the majors, minors and independent leagues.
That's a Wrap!
Thank you for stopping by Catchers Home to check out this article. We hope you found it to be helpful.
If you would like to get in touch, please feel free to reach out by going to our contact page or by sending an email to scott (at) catchershome (dot) com.