Who are the primary catchers for every team in the MLB this season?
Keep scrolling to see our post and infographic detailing the primary backstop for each team, based on 2021 Opening Day lineups!
MLB Catchers During the 2021 Season
After an unprecedented (and quite frankly, strange) 2020 season, Opening Day of the 2021 MLB season was a welcome sight for Baseball fans everywhere.
All teams were scheduled to start playing April 1st, although a few were postponed due to weather or COVID-19 protocols. Within a week, all 30 teams had started their regular seasons.
Now if you're anything like me, it's tough to stay on top of the trades, call-ups, and other changes that often happen in between seasons.
With the important and time-consuming things in life (think kids and work) always in motion, it's hard for me to continually keep track of rosters during the offseason.
So during Spring Training, I typically take time to re-acquaint myself with MLB rosters and catchers around the league. With Opening Day just recently kicking off, I figured now would be a good time to look at each team's starting catcher on Opening Day in 2021.
What follows is a list of the 2021 MLB Opening Day starting catchers for every team. Additionally, I've listed the backup catchers on the 40 man roster for each team (current as of the date of this post's publication).
[Infographic] Each MLB Team's Opening Day Catcher in 2021
Note: Feel free to share this infographic! We only ask that, if you share it, please link back to CatchersHome.com
Team by Team Breakdown
- Arizona Diamondbacks: Stephen Vogt. (Other catchers on the Diamondbacks 40 man roster are Carson Kelly and Daulton Varsho)
- Atlanta Braves: Travis d'Arnaud. (Other catchers on the Braves 40 man roster are William Contreras and Alex Jackson)
- Baltimore Orioles: Pedro Severino. (The only other catcher on the Orioles 40 man roster is Chance Sisco)
- Boston Red Sox: Christian Vazquez. (Other catchers on the Red Sox 40 man roster are Ronaldo Hernández, Kevin Plawecki and Connor Wong)
- Chicago Cubs: Willson Contreras. (Other catchers on the Cubs 40 man roster are Miguel Amaya, Austin Romine and Tony Wolters)
- Chicago White Sox: Yasmani Grandal. (Other catchers on the White Sox 40 man roster are Zack Collins, Yermín Mercedes and Seby Zavala)
- Cincinnati Reds: Tucker Barnhart. (Other catchers on the Reds 40 man roster are Tyler Stephenson and Beau Taylor)
- Cleveland Indians: Roberto Perez. (The only other catcher on the Indians 40 man roster is Austin Hedges)
- Colorado Rockies: Elias Díaz. (The only other catcher on the Rockies 40 man roster is Dom Nuñez)
- Detroit Tigers: Wilson Ramos. (Other catchers on the Tigers 40 man roster are Grayson Greiner and Jake Rogers)
- Houston Astros: Martín Maldonado. (Other catchers on the Astros 40 man roster are Jason Castro and Garrett Stubbs)
- Kansas City Royals: Salvador Pérez. (Other catchers on the Royals 40 man roster are Cam Gallagher and Sebastian Rivero)
- Los Angeles Angels: Max Stassi. (Other catchers on the Angels 40 man roster are Anthony Bemboom and Kurt Suzuki)
- Los Angeles Dodgers: Austin Barnes. (Other catchers on the Dodgers 40 man roster are Keibert Ruiz and Will Smith)
- Miami Marlins: Jorge Alfaro. (The only other catcher on the Marlins 40 man roster is Chad Wallach)
- Milwaukee Brewers: Omar Narváez. (Other catchers on the Brewers 40 man roster are Mario Feliciano, Like Maile, Jacob Nottingham and Manny Piña)
- Minnesota Twins: Mitch Garver. (Other catchers on the Twins 40 man roster are Williams Astudillo, Ryan Jeffers and Ben Rortvedt)
- New York Mets: James McCann. (Other catchers on the Mets 40 man roster are Patrick Mazeika and Tomás Nido)
- New York Yankees: Gary Sanchez. (The only other catcher on the Yankees 40 man roster is Kyle Higashioka)
- Oakland Athletics: Sean Murphy. (Other catchers on the Athletics 40 man roster are Austin Allen and Aramis Garcia)
- Philadelphia Phillies: J.T. Realmuto. (Other catchers on the Phillies 40 man roster are Andrew Knapp and Rafael Marchan)
- Pittsburgh Pirates: Jacob Stallings. (The only other catcher on the Pirates 40 man roster is Michael Perez)
- San Diego Padres: Victor Caratíni. (Other catchers on the Padres 40 man roster are Luis Campusano and Austin Nola)
- San Francisco Giants: Buster Posey. (Other catchers on the Giants 40 man roster are Joey Bart, Curt Casali and Chadwick Tromp)
- Seattle Mariners: Tom Murphy. (The only other catcher on the Mariners 40 man roster is Luis Torrens)
- St. Louis Cardinals: Yadier Molina. (Other catchers on the Cardinals 40 man roster are Iván Herrera, Andrew Knizner and Ali Sánchez)
- Tampa Bay Rays: Mike Zunino. (Other catchers on the Rays 40 man roster are Deivy Grullón and Francisco Mejía)
- Texas Rangers: Jose Trevino. (Other catchers on the Rangers 40 man roster are David García, Jonah Heim and Sam Huff)
- Toronto Blue Jays: Danny Jansen. (Other catchers on the Blue Jays 40 man roster are Riley Adams, Alejandro Kirk and Gabriel Moreno)
- Washington Nationals: Jonathan Lucroy. (Other catchers on the Nationals 40 man roster are Alex Avila, Tres Barrera and Yan Gomes)
There you have it! Your 2021 opening day starters behind the dish and other active catchers on each team's 40 man roster.
I hope this post was helpful.
Have a great 2021 season everyone!